■ email@example.com ■ christareynolds.com
- Strong communication skills, experience conducting interviews with a multitude of subjects and fact-checking experience gained through work as a journalist and as a graduate student
- Familiar with SPSS, Final Cut Pro-X, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Photoshop, and WordPress
- Speak Spanish and Moroccan Arabic, and have studied German and Portuguese
- Strong teaching skills, gained through teaching in Morocco while serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer and through working as a substitute teacher in Tucson, Ariz.
- Leadership and organizational skills, gained from serving as captain of the Women’s Hockey Team at University of Chicago, editing and organizing a blog at the University of Arizona and organizing an English-language training camp for children in Morocco.
MA, Journalism, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz. 2012-2015
MA, Latin American Studies, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz. 2012-2015
Thesis: “‘Illegal Children’: Metaphors and terminology used in newspaper coverage of Central American minors during summer 2014”
BA, International Studies, University of Chicago, Chicago, Ill. 2004- 2008
Graduated with Honors.
Thesis: “‘But what about us?’: A study of the third party in the Oaxacan social movement”
Receptionist, Law Office of Bernadette A. Ruiz, Tucson, Ariz.
July 2014 – May 2015
- Assisted the paralegal and the lawyer, Ms. Ruiz, to streamline tasks in this family law office, including preparing case books for use in trial, filing and organizing Ms. Ruiz’s documents, and sending email correspondence to clients and attorneys.
- Greeted clients and answered the phones while completing my other duties.
Reporting Internship, Arizona Daily Star, Tucson, Ariz.
June – Aug. 2014
- Worked in a traditional print newsroom, where I met publishing deadlines and collaborated closely with fellow reporters and editors preparing articles for a daily circulation of 97,000.
- Reported stories centered on southern Arizona primary elections and U.S.-Mexico border related events, along with articles dealing with life in Tucson and local events.
- Live tweeted from a political campaign event and an anti-immigration protest.
Substitute teacher, Salpointe Catholic High School, Tucson, Ariz.
March 2011 – May 2014
- Acted as an on-call substitute for teachers in all subjects, for all grade levels, at this Catholic high school.
- Kept order in the classroom and ensured students completed their assignments, following lesson plans prepared by the teacher. Class sizes ranged from 15 to 25 students.
Freelance Contributor, Nogales International, Nogales, Ariz.
Oct. 2012 – June 2013
- Reported stories from the Arizona-Sonora, Mexico border region for this online newspaper, circulation about 4,500.
- Articles focused on unique aspects of life in a border town and included my photos.
- Interviews were done in both Arizona and Sonora, Mexico, in English and in Spanish.
Blog designer, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
Aug. – Dec. 2013
- Using WordPress.com, I designed a class blog, EcoChronicle Sonora, to publish students’ work while they were enrolled in the semester-long journalism course, “Reporting on the U.S.-Mexico border.”
- Working with the professor, I chose the best student work to include. Articles incorporated links to pertinent informational sites and a photo gallery with students’ submissions.
Managing editor, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
Jan. – May 2013.
- Served as managing editor for Scientific Tucsonan, an app designed by the graduate students enrolled in the semester-long course, “Multimedia Storytelling.”
- Determined which student videos, photographic slideshows and written articles would be included in publication.
- Designed cover pages for students’ projects and layout of projects using InDesign.
- Edited student work for grammatical and stylistic errors.
Scranton-Gillette Communications, Arlington Heights, Illinois
Editorial Assistant/ Summer Intern, June – Sept. 2007, freelance writer Sept. 2007 – June 2008
- Contributed to three monthly business-to-business magazines: Big Grower, Lawn & Garden Retailer and Greenhouse Product News.
- Edited and proofread submissions from freelancers and staff writers, and wrote feature stories as assigned by my editor.
- Attended a weekend-long trade conference where I published a daily newsletter highlighting conference events and news.
United States Peace Corps Volunteer, stationed in Tazarine, Morocco, North Africa
Youth Development Volunteer, Sept. 2008 – Nov. 2010
- Taught grade school to high school-aged youth English, art, sports, leadership skills and general team-building skills. Held English classes for adults in Tazarine, primarily focused on daily conversation skills and work-related vocabulary.
- Wrote a grant to purchase computers for the local youth center and set up a “Technology Center,” while collaborating with Moroccan counterparts.
- Assisted in leading language-immersion camps for Moroccan youth during summer.
- Designed and taught women’s aerobics classes in Tazarine.
- Coordinated an English Language Immersion Spring Camp for 50 high school students.
Study Abroad Experiences
- Havana, Cuba, through the University of Arizona, June – July 2013
- Lived with a host family in Mariano, Cuba, near Havana for five weeks while taking courses and attending site visits
- Vienna, Austria, through the University of Chicago, Sept. – Dec. 2006
- Oaxaca, Mexico, at the Instituto Cultural de Oaxaca, funded by a Spanish language grant by the University of Chicago, July – Aug. 2006
CONFERENCES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Rocky Mountain Council for Latin American Studies, April 8-11, 2015, Tucson, Arizona.
Presented “Illegal Kids”: Metaphors and terminology used in newspaper coverage of Central American minors during summer 2014
- 2nd Encuentro Internacional Sobre Comunicación, Frontera y Movimientos Emergentes, December 4-6, 2013, Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico.
Presented my mini-documentary video, “Urbanización Espontáneo: El Crecimiento de Colonias en Nogales.”
- Member of Kappa Tau Alpha (Journalism Honor Society), Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Golden Key International
- Member of Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE)